The Illinois Learning Standards (ILS) define what all students in all Illinois public schools should know and be able to do in the seven core areas as a result of their elementary and secondary schooling.
On June 24, 2010 the Illinois State Board of Education adopted new learning standards (nILS) for Math and English Language Arts. On February 27, 2014 the Board adopted new standards for Science. The purpose of these new, more rigorous standards is to better prepare students for college and the workforce. Prior to the Board's actions the Illinois Learning Standards had not changed since their adoption in 1997.
- Illinois Learning Standards Books (7/6/16)
Downloadable PDF books for individual grade levels that have all Illinois Learning Standards. (Including the New Fine Arts standards recently approved 6/16/2016 and effective 2018/2019 school year.) Digital ebooks are also available for each grade level that can be accessed using iBooks on Apple devices or other ebook readers for Android/Kindle.
- Sexual Health Education Guidance posted (4/19/16)
- Social Science updates (2/26/16)
- Performance Descriptors and Assessments by Standard
- Evaluation Study of the Illinois Learning Standard
- Introduction to the Illinois Learning Standards
- Introduction to Descriptors and Assessments
- Teacher's Guide to Classroom Assessments
- Report of the Illinois Task Force on Civic Education Posted! (May 2014)
- Standards Aligned Classroom Information
- Standards Aligned Classroom Lessons (SAC) Lesson Plans developed by teachers on past SAC teams
- Illinois Standards Appendices
- Standards — Questions and Answers
- ILS Reports
- General Interest Resources
- Career Development and Preparation Assessments and Resources
- English Language Learning Proficiency Standards
- Illinois Spanish Language Arts Standards
- Illinois Assessment Frameworks
- ILS Archive (1997 Mathematics and ELA)