Special Education and Support Services
Indicator 4 measures rates of suspension and expulsion. Indicator 4 contains two separate measurements:
- The percent of districts that have a significant discrepancy in the rates of suspensions and expulsions of greater than 10 days in a school year for children with IEPs.
- The percent of districts that have: (a) a significant discrepancy, by race or ethnicity, in the rate of suspensions and expulsions of greater than 10 days in a school year for children with IEPs; and (b) policies, procedures or practices that contribute to the significant discrepancy and do not comply with requirements relating to the development and implementation of IEPs, the use of positive behavioral interventions and supports, and procedural safeguards.
Each district identified as having a possible significant discrepancy in the rates of suspension/expulsion of students with disabilities (4A) and/or students with disabilities in a racial/ethnic group (4B) is required to review and analyze student data at the district and individual building levels and to complete a district self-assessment using a template provided by ISBE. The purpose of this self-assessment is to examine policies, procedures and practices that may impact the development and implementation of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), positive behavioral interventions and supports, and procedural safeguards that may result in discrepant rates of suspension/expulsion.
The Status Report template is to be used by those districts that have been determined to have continuing discrepancies in the rates of suspension/expulsion of students with disabilities as those identified in the preceding year and for which an in depth self-assessment was already completed. The purpose of the Status Report is for such districts to provide an update on their implementation of the improvement activities identified in the “Next Steps” section of the preceding year’s self-assessment.
Indicator 4 Resources:
- Special Education Suspension and Expulsion Rates (4/12/11)
- Technical Assistance for Indicator 4
- Illinois PBIS Network
- Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS)