Provisional Vocational and Temporary Provisional Vocational Certificates
A provisional vocational certificate or a temporary provisional vocational certificate may be issued to individuals who have work experience in specific skill areas for which school districts have state-approved reimbursable vocational programs. These certificate types are valid in grades K-12 when issued prior to July 1, 2004; when issued on or after July 1, 2004 the provisional vocational certificates are valid in grades 7-12, while the temporary provisional vocational is valid only at grade 11-12 in the skill endorsement.
Applicants who seek either of these certificates must complete the ISBE Form 73-03C, "Application for Certificate," indicating the program title for which they are being employed, and the employing school district must sign the application form indicating their interest in employing the applicant. In addition, the applicant must attach ISBE Form 73-23, "Application for Provisional Vocational Certificate," and forward original letters of experience from employers, or notarized statements if the applicant has been self-employed, outlining the work experience relating to the skill area. The following are the specific requirements for each certificate type:
Requirements for the Provisional Vocational Certificate
- Official transcripts showing 60 semester hours of credit from a recognized teacher education institution and
- Documented evidence of 2,000 hours of work experience in the skill area.
Note: To be official, transcripts must be submitted in the sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.
This certificate has a five year period of registration and may be renewed upon payment of registration fees.
Requirements for the Temporary Provisional Vocational Certificate
- This certificate may be issued only when the employing board certifies to the satisfaction and approval of the regional superintendent of schools that no qualified teacher holding a regular certificate or a provisional vocational certificate is available and that actual circumstances and need require such issuance.
- Applicants must have documented evidence of 8,000 hours of work experience in the specific skill area to be taught.
This certificate is valid for one year and may be renewed. Renewal requires proof that the holder has completed three semester hours of credit during the previous year.
Part-Time Provisional Certificate
Individuals may qualify for a renewable part-time provisional certificate valid for two years for teaching no more than two courses of study at the 6-12 level. The certificate may be issued to professionals and crafts persons who meet one of the following requirements:
- 60 semester hours of credit from a recognized institution of higher learning, 9 semester hours of which are to be in the skill to be certified for teaching, or
- 4,000 hours of work experience in the skill to be certified for teaching.
To be issued in a skill area, the skill area must be part of a school district's curriculum, and the skill area for which the applicant has coursework or experience must be taught in grades 6-12. This certificate will not be issued in subjects for which there are existing secondary subject area requirements listed under "Staff Qualifications".