Early Childhood Education
Special Education Services
Early childhood special education services for children, three through five years of age and their families, are provided through local school districts and special education cooperatives.
Professionals with training and expertise in special education services implement the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Part B, by supporting the educational needs of young children and families. Early childhood special education professionals and related services personnel provide specialized educational services to children with disabilities in a variety of settings such as early childhood, preschool, child care, prekindergarten/Preschool for All, Head Start and other early childhood settings to meet the developmental learning needs of these children. In addition, families and early childhood providers may request information about appropriate expectations for children’s development.
Early Childhood Special Education Initiatives
- Preschool Inclusion/LRE
- Early Childhood Outcomes System
- Early Intervention to Early Childhood Special Education Transition
- SPP/APR Indicator 6 (Preschool LRE) and 7 (Early Childhood Outcomes) news! Two new applications for determining codes for Indicator 6 and progress ratings for Indicator 7 have been launched.
- DEC Recommended Practices in Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education
- Fourteen Day Memo-Preschool Initial Eligibility Guidance
- LEA Birth to Three Child Find Responsibilities (3/25/15)
- Presentation from the Early Childhood Special Education Coordinators Roundtable Meetings
- Prekindergarten/Preschool for All Curriculum Criteria
- Parent's Guide (6/09)
- Student Records Keeper for Parents of Students Who Receive Special Education Services in Illinois.
- State Performance Plan
- Special Education Regulations
ISBE offers statewide training and technical assistance through two projects: Early CHOICES and STARNET. Library and information services are also available to all Illinois residents through the Early Childhood Intervention Clearinghouse.
For more information regarding early childhood special education services, please contact Pamela Reising Rechner at email@example.com.