Early Childhood Education
Resources for Supporting
Preschool English Language Learners
Preschool ELL FAQ's
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): Serving English Language Learners in Preschool Programs in Illinois Public School Districts 23 Ill. Adm. Code Part 228 (12/18/14)
- English Language Learners Early Childhood Teacher & Leadership Guide – Logan Square Neighborhood Association
- Espinosa, L. M. (2010). Getting it RIGHT for Young children From Diverse Backgrounds: Applying Research to Improve Practice. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Tabors, Patton O. (2008). One Child, Two Languages: A Guide for Preschool Educators of Children Learning English As a Second Language. Baltimore, Maryland: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Supporting the Literacy Development of Diverse Language Learners in Early Childhood Classrooms (chat transcript)
- What Does the Research Say about Curriculum and Assessment for Young Dual Language Learners? Webinar
- Foundation and Instructional Considerations for Students in TPI and TBE Programs PowerPoint Presentation
- Overview: The New ISBE Bilingual Rules and Early Childhood Teacher Preparation PowerPoint Presentation
- Online Class: Understanding the Development of English Language Learners in the Early Childhood Classroom (ECE508)
- Dr. Eugene Garcia – Bilingualism in Early Childhood Webinar Parts 1-4
- Illinois Early Learning Project - Resources on Dual Language Learners
Includes tips sheets for parents, articles, videos and more. Resources available in several languages.
- Colorín' in Colorado: A Bilingual Site for Families and Educators of English Language Learners
- Latino Policy Forum
- National Center on Cultural and Linguistic Responsiveness – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Administration for Children and Families
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition