Services and Information for Higher Education
The information provided on the following links is designed for use by Illinois Colleges and Universities. If you are an educator and are seeking licensure information, please contact your Regional Office of Education.
- edTPA: An Evidence-Based Assessment of Teacher Effectiveness (11/13)
- edTPA Implementation and Policy Support FAQs
- Illinois Professional Teaching Standards (IPTS) and edTPA Alignment Crosswalk (12/12)
- ISBE edTPA Recommendations to Illinois Institutes of Higher Education - August 2013
- Summary of Teacher Performance Assessment—edTPA (12/12)
- Teacher Performance Assessment Usage Plan
- ISBE edTPA Support Letter to Districts (8/13)
- Release Form for Student Participation (8/13)
Webinars and Presentations
- Integrating the edTPA into our programs: Backwards mapping, Using score profiles, and Closing the loop (8/14)
- IL-TPAC Quarterly Webinar: Supporting Statewide edTPA Implementation (5/14)
- edTPA Implementation and Policy Support Webinar (5/13)
- Beyond the Field Test: The TPA Usage Plan for 2012–2013 PowerPoint Presentation (6/12)
- Teacher Performance Assessment: Introducing an Emerging Practice Webinar (5/12)
Illinois institutions of higher education are now required to incorporate the Illinois State Board’s Social and Emotional Learning Standards into their educator preparation programs. Requiring incorporation of the standards into educator preparation programs will ensure that teachers, administrators and pupil support personnel have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide instruction specific to social and emotional development; assess students’ social and emotional skills; and respond to children with social, emotional, or mental health problems that have an impact on their ability to learn.
In response to this new mandate, ISBE has developed a guidance document and accompanying appendices to assist curriculum developers as they plan for and work toward this endeavor. Below are the links to the draft guidance document and accompanying appendices:
ISBE is asking for feedback from the higher education community. Please view the draft guidance document and accompanying appendices. Once you have viewed the documents, please click on the survey link, to provide your feedback.
- New Illinois Learning Standards Home Page
- Common Core Math/ELA Standards
- Common Core Professional Development Modules
- PARCC Assessment Page
- Race to the Top III Teacher Preparation Program Redesign Grant
The Illinois State Board of Education offered discretionary funds as a part of the Race to the Top III, Federal Teacher Preparation Program Redesign Grant to support Illinois Institutions of Higher Education with approved secondary mathematics or secondary English language arts teacher education programs. The grant will assist institutions in incorporating the Common Core State Standards into its teacher preparation program for secondary mathematics or secondary English language arts. Institutions having both secondary mathematics and secondary English language arts teacher preparation programs will receive funding to incorporate the Common Core State Standards into both programs.
The following resources are available to participating institutions for use in the redesign of their teacher preparation programs for secondary English language arts and/or secondary mathematics:
- Tomorrow’s Teachers, Today’s Standards: Summit on Integrating Common Core into Educator Prep Programs
Illinois has adopted Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in Math and English Language Arts. These standards will be fully implemented in 2013-14 with the goals to raise expectations for all K-12 children, and to “better prepare Illinois students for success in college and the workforce in a competitive global economy”. The adoption of the CCSS will change how we develop instruction and will require educators to teach and assess students in different ways. It also raises questions:
To assist in the integration of the Common Core State Standards into Educator Preparation programs, the Illinois Board of Higher Education, State Board of Education and Community College Board presented Tomorrow’s Teachers, Today’s Standards: Summit on Integrating Common Core into Educator Prep Programs on June 6, 2012. National experts provided information on what the Common Core means for educators entering the field, and participants examined how preparation programs will need to respond to these new requirements.
Institutional teams from the twelve public universities, thirty-two independent institutions and thirty-one community colleges attended. These teams were comprised of Deans of Colleges of Education and Arts and Sciences, lead faculty, department chairs, and/or program coordinators. Follow this link to access materials and presentations from the Summit: http://www.ibhe.org/TTTS/default.htm.
- Accreditation Review Schedule
- Alternative Educator Licensure Information
- Alternative Route to Administrative Certification for NBCTs
- Directory of Approved Illinois Institutions and Programs
- Preparation and Evaluation Home Page
- Framework for Restructuring the Recruitment, Preparation, Licensure and Continuing Professional Development of Teachers in Illinois
- Guidance: Criminal History Records Information (CHRI) Checks for Certified and Non-Certified School Personnel
- Institutional Accreditation
- Illinois Administrative Rules
- School Code Provisions for Educator Licensure
- Standards for Illinois Licensure
- State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board
- Testing for Educator Licensure
- Title II State Report
- Webinar Archive