For Immediate Release
April 14, 2011
State Superintendent celebrates success of 12 Sangamon County Honor Roll Schools
Annual list recognizes improving and high-performing schools across state
SPRINGFIELD — Illinois State Superintendent of Education Christopher A. Koch recognized 12 Sangamon County schools today for being named to the 2010 Illinois Honor Roll. The schools were honored during a school assembly at Hazel Dell Elementary.
“This is a remarkable list of 12 schools that have maintained or improved academic performance amid rising benchmarks and a tough economy,” said State Superintendent Koch. “Many of the students in these schools come from low-income families but their parents, educators and community members are working extraordinarily hard to ensure these children are just as engaged in learning as any of their peers from Cairo to Chicago.”
The 2010 Illinois Honor Roll recognizes 834 schools across the state for their continued academic progress. The honor roll is divided into three categories – Spotlight Schools, Academic Excellence and Academic Improvement. Each award has unique criteria that best reflect the diverse circumstances of Illinois schools.
- Spotlight Schools – Recognizes 300 high-poverty, high-performing schools that are beating the odds to overcome the achievement gap.
- Academic Excellence Awards – 459 schools have sustained high performance over at least three years.
- Academic Improvement Awards – 93 schools are showing substantial improvement.
The 12 schools honored are:
Rochester Community Unit School District 3A:
- Rochester Jr. High School (Excellence)
- Rochester Elementary School (Excellence)
Ball Chatham Community Unit School District 5:
- Chatham Elementary School (Excellence)
Pleasant Plains Community Unit School District 8:
- Farmingdale Elementary School (Excellence)
Auburn CUSD 10:
- Auburn High School (Academic Improvement)
Williamsville CUSD 15:
- Williamsville Jr High School (Excellence)
Springfield School District 186:
- Jane Addams Elementary School (Spotlight)
- Butler Elementary School (Spotlight)
- Hazel Dell Elementary School (Spotlight)
- Iles Elementary School (Excellence)
- Lincoln Magnet School (Excellence)
- McClernand Elementary School (Academic Improvement)
A complete listing of the 2010 Illinois Honor Roll Schools can be found online at http://www.isbe.net/honor_roll/default.htm