For Immediate Release
February 25, 2013
State Board celebrates the success of eight Honor Roll schools in west central Illinois
Annual list recognizes improving and high-performing schools across the state
QUINCY — State Superintendent of Education Christopher A. Koch recognized eight schools today for being named to the 2012 Illinois Honor Roll. The schools were honored during a school assembly at Dewey Elementary School in Quincy, the only school in the state to have won the Spotlight award 10 times for maintaining high- level performance.
“The educators, parents and students of these fine schools should be very proud of this achievement, especially during a time when the state and many districts are facing added economic pressures with cuts to education,” said State Superintendent Koch. “I’m thrilled to be with all of you today at Dewey where consistent hard work has paid off year after year.”
The latest Illinois Honor Roll list includes 624 schools across the state. There are about 4,000 public schools in Illinois. The Honor Roll is divided into three categories – Spotlight Schools, Academic Excellence and Academic Improvement. Each award has unique criteria that best reflect the diverse circumstances of Illinois schools.
- Spotlight Schools – Recognizes 105 high-poverty, high-performing schools that are beating the odds by overcoming the achievement gap.
- Academic Excellence Awards – 454 schools have sustained high performance over at least three years.
- Academic Improvement Awards – 81 schools are showing substantial improvement.
The area schools recognized today were:
- Dewey Elementary School, Quincy SD 172, Spotlight School
- Astoria Junior High School, Astoria CUSD 1, Academic Improvement Award
- V I T Sr High School, V I T CUSD 2, Academic Improvement Award
- Eastview Elementary School, Canton Union SD 66, Spotlight School
- Nauvoo Elem School, Nauvoo-Colusa CUSD 325, Spotlight School
- West Prairie North Elementary, West Prairie CUSD 103, Academic Excellence Award
- West Prairie South Elementary, West Prairie CUSD 103, Spotlight School
- Macomb Junior High School, Macomb CUSD 185, Academic Excellence Award
While Dewey Elementary is the only school to have won the Spotlight Award 10 times since the award began in 2003, another seven schools earned the award for the ninth year. Nine schools earned the award for the eighth year.
The 2012 Honor Roll roster contains elementary, middle and high schools, including charter schools, and represents 293 public school districts statewide. Downstate schools represent 39 percent of the Honor Roll schools, suburban schools represent 49 percent and Chicago schools make up the final 12 percent this year. The schools earned a total of 640 awards in the three categories.
Northern Illinois University works with ISBE to establish criteria, identify winners of the awards and administer the Illinois Honor Roll. A complete listing of the 2012 Illinois Honor Roll Schools can be found online at http://www.ilhonorroll.niu.edu.
Follow us: Visit the official ISBE website at http://www.isbe.net.