Special Education Services
- ISBE Non-Regulatory Guidance Page
- Guidance: School Enrollment and Placement Guidelines for Children and Youth in DCFS Care (1/14)
- Guidance: IDEA Proportionate Share Services for Parentally Placed Nonpublic Students with Disabilities (4/13)
- Guidance on Documenting Common Core State Standards on the Individualized Education Program (4/13)
- Guidance: Diabetes Awareness Day (PA 97-0819) (2/13)
- Guidance: Safety Education: Training in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) for Students in Grades 6-8 (PA 97-714) (2/13)
- Guidance: Service Animals: Miniature (PA 97-0956) (2/13)
- Guidance Related to Section 226.840, Special Education: Qualifications of Personnel to Conduct Medical Review - Under Revision
- Guidance: Public Act 97-0495: Transfer of Students to Regional Safe School and Alternative Learning Opportunity Programs (8/12)
- ISBE Guidance 10-2 Relating to Transitioning from Early Intervention to Early Childhood Special Education Services when Children Turn Three (#10-2) (October 2010)
- ISBE Guidance Relating to Changes to Special Education Cooperative Articles of Agreement Required by PA 96-0769 and PA 96-0783 (#10-1) (February 2010)
- Guidance: Illinois Special Education Eligibility and Entitlement Procedures and Criteria within a Response to Intervention (RtI) Framework (January 2010)
- Development of IEPS For Students With Autism Spectrum Disorders (#08-1) (Implementation of Public Act 095-0257) (July 2008)
- Guidance on Special Education Class Size for 2009-2010 and Beyond (23 Illinois Administrative Code 226.730(b) and (c)) (September 2001)
- Guidance: Recommended Guidelines for Medication Administration in Schools (September 2000)
- Court and Agency Placements Guidance for School Districts
The recent passage of Public Acts 95-0844, effective August 15, 2008, and 95-0938, effective August 29, 2008, clarifies responsibility for payment of educational services provided to students placed in residential facilities. This guidance is intended to assist districts in determining responsibility for payment under the funding structure established by these Acts and provide preliminary information relative to implementation of the reimbursement requirements established by this legislation.
- Additional Clarification Regarding Proportionate Share Obligations (#08-2)
September 2008, the State Board of Education sent a memo to local district superintendents and local directors of special education providing clarification on issues related to the non-public proportionate share obligation.
Education Non-Public Proportionate Share Calculation
and Home-Schooled Students (#06-3).
In April 2006, the State Board of Education sent a memo to local district superintendents and local directors of special education providing information on issues related to the non-public proportionate share calculation.
on Special Education Support for Parentally-Placed Private
School Students for the 2006-07 School Year (#06-2).
The following memorandum will serve as further supplementation of ISBE’s Guidance Memorandum #05-7, issued August 11, 2005, as well as this agency’s supplemental guidance on private school students with disabilities, issued on April 21, 2006.
with Disabilities in Regional Safe School Programs -
April 21, 2006.
This memorandum updates a November 8, 2001 memorandum on the placement of, and provision of services to, students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) in Regional Safe Schools Programs (RSSPs)
- Private Residential Placement Form and Timelines
November 2, 2005
105 ILCS 5/14-7.02 addresses the issue of children attending private schools, public out-of-state schools, public school residential facilities or private special education facilities.
Guidance Information to Memorandum #05-7 (August
11, 2005) Regarding the Non-public Proportionate Share
- Guidance for Compliance with P.A. 94-0376 (SB 87) - August 12, 2005
"The recent enactment of P.A. 94-0376 resulted in changes to 105 ILCS/14-8.02(b) of the School Code regarding IEP development for students with hearing impairments or vision impairments.
- Interim Guidance for Special Education Services for Parentally Placed Private School Children with Disabilities - August 11, 2005
The new Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA 2004) made some significant changes to requirements for the provision of special education and related services to parentally placed private school children with disabilities.
Discretionary Projects- August 9, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to clarify information about statewide discretionary projects, and to encourage the purchase of services from our discretionary projects.
School Year Services for Students with Disabilities
- July 26, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide a reminder regarding the legal requirements related to the provision of extended school year (ESY) services for students with disabilities.
- Extended School Year for Students with Disabilities - November 20, 2001
- Interim Changes to Due
Process and Disciplinary Procedures under IDEA 2004
- July 12, 2005
The New Individuals With Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA 2004) contains an array of significant changes to Due Process and Discipline of students with disabilities.
- Obligations of States and Local Education Agencies to Parentally-Placed
Private School Children with Disabilities - OSEP 05-09
- June 27, 2005
The focus of this memorandum is to provide guidance to States and LEAS in complying with the following requirements in 20 U.S.C. 1412(a)(10) of IDEA 2004.
Department of Education's proposed regulations for the Individuals
with Disabilities Education Improvement Act
These were published on June 21, 2005 and will be available for public comment to the US Department of Education through September 6, 2005.
Services and Placement Determination for Students Who Are
Deaf or Hard of Hearing - June 10, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide guidance regarding the services and placement of students we are deaf and hard of hearing.
of Services for Students Identified As Having Vision Impairments
or Hearing Impairments - June 10, 2005
This communication is intended to provide clarification and consistency regarding the document of services for students identified as having vision impairments or hearing impairments.
- Reimbursement to School
Districts for Co-teaching Personnel - February 16, 2005
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide clarification regarding reimbursement to school districts for special education certified and non-certified personnel involved in the instruction of both general education and special education students.
- Applicability of Title I Requirements Relating to the Qualifications of
Paraprofessionals under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 - December 30, 2004
This memorandum is intended to clarify the application of the requirements under the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) to paraprofessionals.
- Compliance with State and Federal Regulations Regarding Psychological
Counseling and Mental Health Services - March 18,
This purpose of this memorandum is to provide guidance to school districts to ensure that children with behavioral or emotional disabilities (ED) are receiving all of the related services that they need, including psychological counseling services, as part of a free appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
Appropriate Procedures for Determining Placement in the Least
Restrictive Environment and Identifying and Providing Appropriate
Special Education and Related Services - April 10,
During the weeks of October 15, 2001, and April 22, 2002, the US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) conducted a monitoring review in Illinois for the purposes of assessing compliance in the implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and assisting the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) in developing strategies to improve results for children with disabilities.
- Guidelines for Use of Speech-Language Paraprofessionals - November
Districts and special education joint agreements that are unable to secure certified speech and language pathologists can request an approval for a speech and language paraprofessional. The approvals are reviewed and approved through the Division of Certification and Professional Preparation.
with Disabilities in Regional Safe Schools Programs
- November 8, 2001
This memorandum is sent to clarify the responsibilities of school districts and special education cooperatives in providing services to students with Individual Education Programs (IEPs) enrolled in the Regional Safe Schools Program (RSSP) and in meeting relevant reporting requirements.
Guidance: Initial Evaluations for Special Education and Related Services for Children Ages Three through Five (3/12)